Source: Field To Market news release
Field to Market: The Alliance for Sustainable Agriculture today introduced Fieldprint Platform 3.0, the next generation of the industry’s most widely recognized sustainability assessment tool for commodity crop production in the United States. The Platform’s new features and functionality provide farmers and the supply chain with a more streamlined and efficient user experience along with improved science.
The Fieldprint Platform is a pioneering assessment framework that empowers brands, retailers, suppliers and farmers at every stage in their sustainability journey, to measure the environmental impacts of commodity crop production against eight sustainability metrics and identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
Farmers can access this free and confidential tool through the Fieldprint Platform’s online calculator or through associated farm-management software that integrates the Platform’s pre-competitive metrics and algorithms. The Fieldprint Platform also offers brands, retailers and suppliers the opportunity to access aggregated data from farmers who opt-in to participate in local Fieldprint Projects and anonymously share their data to support downstream companies in assessing the sustainability of their supply chains.
Fieldprint Platform 3.0 introduces:
• More Crops & Feed Pathways: Expanded sustainability measurement from six crops to eleven, including: alfalfa, barley, corn for grain, corn silage, cotton, peanuts, potatoes, rice, soybeans, sugar beets and wheat.
• Better Science: Refined metrics incorporate the best available science improving the accuracy of Greenhouse Gas, Energy Use, Biodiversity and Soil Conservation metrics.
• Usability Improvements: Enhanced user experience, including easier workflows, simplified data inputs, and simplified process to create new fields.
• Improved Agronomics: Enhanced ability for farmers to assess sustainability benefits across a full crop rotation with improved accuracy through new custom crop rotation builder feature.
• Enhanced Supply Chain Features: Offered core improvements to support the supply chain in creating, tracking and generating reports from their Fieldprint Projects.
• Seamless Integration: Improved support for agricultural technology providers embedding the Fieldprint Platform’s sustainability metrics into their software through a redesigned API, improved documentation portal, restructured API request and improved data quality control.
“Illustrating the connection between productivity and environmental outcomes, the Fieldprint Platform offers farmers the opportunity to assess how their management choices impact natural resources, production levels, and ultimately the efficiency of their operation,” said Rod Snyder, president of Field to Market. “The new features and functionality in Fieldprint Platform 3.0 take sustainability measurement to next level by improving the science, usability, agronomics and reporting to benefit farmers and the supply chain alike.”
Field to Market has a long and successful track record in this space – since the inception of the online Fieldprint Calculator in 2009, the Fieldprint Platform has become the industry’s most accepted sustainability framework for commodity agriculture, widely supported by leading NGOs and universities. In addition, the Fieldprint Platform serves as the cornerstone of nearly 55 active supply chain sustainability projects. Harnessing the power of Field to Market’s sustainability metrics, the Fieldprint Platform also offers enhanced integration capabilities through its API for technology providers that wish to offer Field to Market’s sustainability analytics alongside their agronomic insights and recommendations.
At Unilever, the Fieldprint Platform is used in the United States to help meet the requirements of the company’s Sustainable Agriculture Code. “The Fieldprint Platform is an indispensable tool in helping Unilever monitor progress against our sustainability goals,” said Stefani Millie Grant, Unilever’s Senior Manager for External Affairs and Sustainability. “The expanded features and functionality offered in Version 3.0 provide wheat and soybean farmers in our supply chain with a valuable tool for understanding their sustainability performance today and identifying opportunities for future improvements that can benefit both the environment and their bottom line.”
“Streamlined sustainability reporting for both farmers and the supply chain produce tangible insights that can drive continuous improvement in sustainability outcomes,” said Paul Hishmeh, Field to Market’s Data & Technology Director.
Bunge North America’s Vice President of Sustainability, Megan Weidner added, “The new version of the Fieldprint Platform allows us to offer better support to our customers on both ends of the value chain-with improved agronomics accounting for the benefits of a multi-crop rotation for our farmers and enhanced reporting functionality for downstream customers, this measurement framework is a fulcrum in our sustainable agriculture strategy.”
The enhanced features and functionality are also winning attributes with farmers who use the Fieldprint Platform as a tool to evaluate the sustainability performance of their management decisions and explore innovative ways to improve their farm’s productivity and profitability.
Jeff Durand, a sixth-generation farmer from St. Martinville, Louisiana shared: “Using the Fieldprint Platform, farmers can enter different scenarios to see how it improves our resource use efficiency at a field level. The Fieldprint Platform is also a valuable tool for documenting our sustainability performance for our customers, landlords and other important stakeholders.”