Source: Pioneer news release
Pioneer has added more than 100 new, top-performing corn and soybean products to its industry-leading product lineup for growers in the United States and Canada. The 2019 class of new products further strengthens the Pioneer brand corn and soybean offering, which recorded its best overall yields in Pioneer history during the 2018 harvest:
• Pioneer Brand Corn Hybrids Record Best Overall Yields in History: The top 40 Pioneer brand corn products by demand – including several products introduced in the past few seasons – offered growers a 5.3 bu/A advantage over the competition.
• Record Number of Farmers Planting Pioneer Brand A-Series Soybeans Celebrate 100 Bushel Beans: In 2018, more than 50 growers topped the 100 bu/A threshold with A-Series varieties.
“The Pioneer product lineup is as strong as it has ever been thanks to our continued investments in research and local testing,” said Judd O’Connor, President, U.S. Commercial Business, Corteva Agriscience, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont. “When farmers plant our products, they can feel confident they are planting a yield and agronomic leader that will perform consistently.”
2019 Corn Product Advancements
The new class of Pioneer brand corn hybrids includes 67 new, high-performing products ranging from 72 to 119 days comparative relative maturity, or CRM.
The products that advanced to commercialization underwent two years of IMPACT (Intensively Managed Product Advancement, Characterization and Testing) plot trials. This final research process characterizes corn products for the optimal geographical fit and measures product consistency over multiple years.
“Our hybrids are subjected to a rigorous testing regime. This means we bring new genetic gain and better performance to our lineup year over year,” said Matt Smalley, Research Director, North America Corn Breeding, Corteva Agriscience. “This year’s products include a focus on early-season hybrids, including some of the best early performance we’ve seen. Our lineup is really strong at 101 days and earlier.”
Pioneer IMPACT plot trials help to ensure only the top products are advanced to market. These new corn offerings from Pioneer are the product of comprehensive breeding efforts, creating an unrivaled selection, including:
• Ten new Pioneer brand Optimum AcreMax XTreme products, which offer two modes of action for above-ground insect control and two modes of action for below-ground control;
• Three new Pioneer brand Optimum AQUAmax products, designed to help withstand drought conditions and protect against yield loss; and
• Four new Pioneer brand Optimum Intrasect products for above-ground insect protection.
Building on the widest range of end-use products, Pioneer also advanced five new yellow and three new white food-grade products, as well as two new waxy products and one new Pioneer brand Qrome product.
2019 Soybean Product Advancements
The 2019 soybean class complements the already-outstanding Pioneer brand A-Series soybean lineup, the highest-yielding soybeans ever introduced by Pioneer. The 40 new A-Series varieties now bring the A-Series soybean lineup to nearly 150 varieties, ranging in maturity from Group 000 to Group 7.
With best-in-class yield potential plus strong agronomics and defensive characteristics, highlights of the 2019 class include:
• Twenty-five new Pioneer brand A-Series soybean varieties with Roundup Ready 2 Xtend technology. These varieties have a 3.4 bu/A yield advantage vs. competitive Roundup Ready 2 Xtend technology varieties across nearly 8,000 comparisons, with 72 percent wins – a significant yield boost over the current Pioneer brand soybean products with Roundup Ready 2 Xtend technology that demonstrated a 1.8 bu/A yield advantage vs competitive Roundup Ready 2 Xtend technology varieties;
• Nine new Pioneer brand A-Series varieties with the LibertyLink trait, giving farmers additional options for weed control;
• Thirty-two new A-Series varieties with native resistance to soybean cyst nematode (SCN), including 10 varieties with Peking resistance;
Three new Pioneer brand A-Series Plenish# high oleic soybean varieties; and
• Two new conventional A-Series varieties for growers raising non-GMO soybeans.
“Pioneer continues to improve the yield potential and agronomic performance of our soybean products thanks to investments we’ve made in advanced breeding technology, including our Accelerated Yield Technology or AYT 4.0 technology,” said Paul Stephens, Senior Research Director, Soybeans, Corteva Agriscience. “We are excited about these new soybean varieties and the productivity boost they give farmers.”