Pioneer today introduced a diverse new class of 87 corn and soybean seed products to the U.S. market for 2022. These advancements, powered by elite genetics derived from the Corteva Agriscience global germplasm library, build on the strong agronomic characteristics and yield potential of previous classes and launch trailblazing new products.
“Our approach to product development puts farmers’ needs at the forefront. First, our breeders search and screen one of the world’s largest germplasm libraries to develop products capable of performing in a variety of conditions and environments,” said Judd O’Connor, President, U.S. Commercial Business, Corteva Agriscience. “We rigorously test promising hybrids and varieties across multiple years, including pre-commercial IMPACT (Intensively Managed Product Advancement Characterization and Testing) trials before choosing only the top-performing products for the Pioneer brand.”
Exclusive Varieties of Pioneer brand A-Series Soybeans with the Enlist E3 Trait Announced
The launch of Pioneer brand A-Series soybeans with the Enlist E3 trait offers new varieties that combine the world-class genetics of Pioneer brand A-Series soybeans, the company’s highest-yielding varieties, with Enlist technology, the most advanced trait technology available in soybeans. Corteva Agriscience and M.S. Technologies jointly developed and own the transgenic soybean event in Enlist E3 soybeans.
In extensive 2021 testing and trials across geographies, A-Series soybeans with the Enlist E3 trait delivered a 2.0 bu/A yield advantage1 vs. all competitors.
“Pioneer is committed to delivering varieties with Enlist E3 soybean technology,” said Jeff Thompson, Global Soybean Research Lead, Corteva Agriscience. “This aligns with farmer preferences, with Enlist E3 soybeans already at approximately 35% penetration in the U.S. for 2021 – a trend we expect to continue as we progress our plans to introduce the Enlist E3 trait with our A-Series soybeans. The Enlist E3 technology in A-Series soybeans combines a superior weed control system with exclusive Pioneer genetics and is expected to maximize yield potential and profitability on our customers’ farms.”
In all, Pioneer is advancing 37 new soybean products in 2022, most with the Enlist E3 soybean trait, covering a broad range of maturities from 00.5 to 7.0. Pioneer brand A-Series soybeans, which are specifically developed to push yield boundaries and help maximize productivity, feature 32 varieties, including:
• 28 varieties of Pioneer brand A-Series soybeans with the Enlist E3 trait, the latest addition to the Pioneer soybean portfolio, an exclusive combination of proven high yield potential and advanced herbicide trait technology.
• 2 Pioneer brand Plenish high oleic soybean varieties, specialty soybeans that offer a profitable way for farmers to help meet rising consumer demand for healthier cooking oils.
• 2 conventional soybean varieties, which provide more choices to farmers in specialty soybean markets.
Broad New Class of Pioneer Brand Corn Products Showcase Elite Germplasm
Farmers will have a wider selection of Pioneer brand corn products than ever before to help drive success in 2022, thanks to this year’s diverse advancing class, which boasts 50 new corn products from 31 new genetic platforms built on elite Pioneer germplasm. All were developed to provide farmers with high yield potential options across myriad field conditions and a full range of maturities, from 69 to 117 CRM.
“This class further diversifies and enhances our product lineup, including multiple advancements in specialty corn markets that most other seed brands do not invest in,” said Luis Verde, North American Corn Product Development Lead, Corteva Agriscience. “At the same time, it’s raising the bar with yield potential, plant health and consistent performance to give farmers confidence that the seed they select will perform when planted on their acres.”
Spanning the past three years, the 2021 class has averaged an impressive 10.4 bu/A yield advantage over competitors in more than 63,000 on-farm and IMPACT trial comparisons.2 The 2022 class will build on those achievements with new offerings that include:
• 10 Pioneer brand Qrome products, which are the most optimized balance of yield potential, agronomic performance and insect protection in the Pioneer corn product portfolio.
• 4 Pioneer brand Optimum AQUAmax products with key native traits that deliver a yield advantage in water-limited environments and offer top-end yield potential under optimal growing conditions.
• 2 Pioneer brand Optimum Leptra insect protection hybrids that provide superior protection against above-ground pests, protect grain quality and help maximize yield.
• 2 white food-grade and 2 waxy products, expanding the industry’s leading portfolio of end-use products and demonstrating the Pioneer commitment to innovation in specialty corn markets.
• 3 brown midrib (BMR) silage products offering outstanding fiber digestibility for higher feed consumption among high-producing cows.